On Jan. 18, the HUD issued a notification that implements provisions for several Section 8 voucher programs under HOTMA(Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act) which was signed under H.R.3700. The notice addresses requirements impacting the housing choice voucher (HCV) and project-based voucher (PBV) programs. The HOTMA provisions are effective on April 18, but HUD is seeking further public common on the provisions' execution, according to the Midwest Affordable Housing Management Association (MAHMA).
HOTMA streamlines certain parts of the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) rental assistance programs, including the public housing program, the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, and the project-based rental assistance program. As a result of HOTMA, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates that implementing this legislation would “reduce spending subject to appropriation by $311 million over the 2017-2021 period, assuming appropriations are consistent with the estimate.”
This new ruling affects several programs and institutes changes in the various programs. Some of these changes include the following topics:
- Calculating Income & Income Reviews
- Deductions for determining adjusted income are being modified
- Eligibility Limitations
- Project based vouchers
- Public Housing Authorities Funds and Ownership
- Family Unification Program
- Homeless and Veterans Provisions
- Utility Consumption
- Disaster Housing Assistance Program
- Self-Help Home ownership Opportunity Program
The guidance sets forth the statutory provisions effective immediately under HOTMA, and the actions that may or should be taken now in order to comply with those changes, in addition to identifying the provisions that are not effective until HUD subsequently issues a notice or regulation to implement them.
Topics covered in the session:
- What is the HOTMA Program?
- Who is covered?
- What programs does it cover?
- What changes are necessary?
- When do they take effect?
Who Should Attend:
- Property Owners
- Property Managers
- Leasing Agents
- Housing Authority Staff
- Municipal Building Services Staff