Did you know there is a difference between general discipline procedures and discipline procedures for students with disabilities? Children with disabilities have specific rights under state and federal laws when it comes to suspensions and school discipline. This live webinar will help the person responsible for overseeing and/or training individuals relative to the discipline of disabled students understand the obligations imposed by IDEA and Section 504 concerning the discipline of disabled students and how to fulfill those obligations. It will also provide an opportunity for discussion of common problems in this regard and practical solutions.
This program by expert speaker Hope N. Kirsch, M.A. (Ed.), Esq. provides a comprehensive overview of the laws governing discipline of students with special needs, who have either an IEP or 504 Plan, and takes into consideration the landscape in light of the most recent and growing school violence.
What will you learn?
- All relevant laws, including statutes and rules governing discipline of special education students.
- What the law says on restraint and seclusion.
- Using Functional Behavior Assessments (FBAs) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIPs).
- The Emergency Due Process in disciplinary cases.
- Alternatives and strategies to avoid long-term suspension or expulsion.
- And more!
- How to prepare for a Manifestation Determination Review (MDR) meeting
- The governing laws (statutes and rules)
- Helpful hints
Who Should Attend
- School Administrators
- Special Education Teachers and Staff
- Attorneys for schools
- Attorneys for parents
- School District Governing Board Members
- Educational/Parent Advocates