Higher learning has been central to the American story, written over centuries, empowering individuals not only to advance their own station, but also to engage in our democracy – to preserve and protect those freedoms.
President Trump’s budget proposes a new program under Title I, Furthering Options for Children to Unlock Success (FOCUS), with a proposed budget of 1 billion dollars.President Trump’s budget also proposes a number of significant cuts to programs that fund higher education and that provide financial assistance to low-income students.
In total, Trump’s education funding proposal could strain state budgets and make college affordability much more difficult for a number of students.
Accessing her decades of experience representing the higher education sector through five presidents and eight administrations, Yolanda Gallegos will discuss:
- Summary of changes to expect in higher education under Trump administration.
- Discussion of background, philosophy, and style of Betsy DeVos
- Immigration issues, travel ban, and hate speech issues
- Regulatory Changes
- Title IX
- Gainful Employment
- Borrower Defense
- Challenges colleges and universities must now prepare to deal with to handle conflicts with current, written regulations, policies, and guidance and changes expected under DeVos. This includes:
- How and whether colleges should change how it reviews and adjudicates claims of sexual assault, hate speech, and discrimination against transgender students.
- Resources a school should devote to gainful employment compliance and appeals.
- Expected legal challenges to changes by DeVos to Obama-era regulations
- Neil Gorsuch: How might Justice Gorsuch impact higher education?
Who Will Benefit:
Officers and owners of community colleges and other public institutions offering short-term, non-degree programs and private sector (for-profit) postsecondary institutions
- Investors in private sector postsecondary institutions
- Deans of students
- Title IX coordinators
- Postsecondary financial aid professionals
- Postsecondary regulatory and compliance professionals