The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) was enacted to help job-protected employees go on unpaid leave for specific medical conditions or to attend to urgent family issues, including adoption, pregnancy, ill-health of the employee or family member, foster care placement, military service etc. Unfortunately, FMLA leaves have been misused to a point where now employers are going for severe crackdowns and seriously contemplating to push for stricter regulations and penalties.
It’s a fact that FMLA leave abuse costs organization a lot of money. A recent survey revealed that almost 33% of sick leaves were taken fraudulently. While some were taken to go for a vacation or to serve jail time, others FMLA leaves were misused to work on an additional job.
Employers have to get smarter now to identify and curb family and medical leave fraud because employees are using ever smarter ways to escape punishment. It’s very important for employers to document everything and conduct a thorough investigation if they want their charge to stand in court, or else employees can get away easily.
This webinar by Susan Fahey Desmond, America’s leading labour and employment lawyer is designed to give you an edge in identifying, investigating and handling FMLA leave abuse, as well as how to legally discipline and terminate employees caught in FMLA leave fraud.
- Understand why particular types of leaves are commonly abused and why
- Combating sick leave abuse with medical certifications
- Tell-tale signs of employee leave abuse
- Conducting a proper investigation in a potential FMLA leave fraud situation
- How to avoid retaliation claims when terminating an employee
- Why documentation is critical; what to document and what not
- Documentation during employee disciplining and termination
Who Will Benefit:
- HR Managers and Directors
- Benefit Managers
- Employee Relations Professionals
- Managers & Supervisors
- Business Owners
- All HR Personnel