Garnishments are a requirement of doing business and having employees, but juggling the requirements of different types of garnishments and federal and state laws can be exhausting.
This webinar with payroll expert, Dayna J. Reum, CPP, FPC, will give you the tips and tools to know how to stay compliant and process garnishments according to the law and in the best interest of the business.
This session will cover recent updates to garnishment legislation and challenges and risks employers face due to improper handling of garnishments. We will also review the impact of the recent tax reform on garnishments.
- Better understanding of employer responsibilities
- How to properly calculate garnishment deductions?
- Review of lump sum reporting requirements and how to comply
- Proper order of garnishment priority when an employer receives multiple orders
- How to determine which law to follow, state or federal?
- Child Support Review
- Employer Responsibility/Employee Protections
- Priority of Withholding/Multiple Orders
- Child Support withholding requirements
- Defining Income/Calculating disposable pay
- Lump Sum Payments
- Calculating Child Support Payments
- When to remit payments
- Administrative fees
- Handling terminated employees
- E-IWO (electronic income withholding orders)
- Other Child Support Concerns
- Medical Support Orders
- Details of State Requirements
- Federal Tax Levies
- Calculating deductions
- Special Situations
- Remittance Requirements
- Voluntary Deductions
- Other Federal Garnishments
- State Tax Levies
- State Laws
- Creditor Garnishments
- Live Q&A session with speaker
- PowerPoint presentation for download
- Certificate of attendance
Who Will Benefit:
- All payroll professionals
- Anyone responsible for garnishment processing